I am sure everyday at work you hear and see many situations that makes you laugh. But in the catering and hospitality industry we get those by the buckets. Most of the time they are coming from our customers, but I must admit other times it comes from us. Before we list them down one by one, I must clarify that these funny things are not necessarily or deliberately set as jokes. Other times, they even came from very serious moments only to realise in some delayed reaction that they were hilarious – well to us anyway. But I will let you be the judge of them.
- Customer ate everything on the plate but in the end complained about the food after.
- Hotel guests ordered fish and chips in the restaurant only to complain in the end that she does not like batter coated fish. There were other fish dishes on the menu that night. This guest demanded not to pay the bill.
- Customer asked server what does pork and apple pasty taste like. Server said it tastes like pork…and it tastes like apple. It could not be anymore simple than that.
- Staff said he can’t wash dishes because he must never get soap in his eyes.
- One staff rang in sick Christmas eve and New Years eve – what are the chances of getting sick on those days huh?
- Staff asked what day Friday the 13th falls on?
- Customer bought mineral water and told staff that it’s cheaper next door. Staff said buy it next door.
- Customer farted while drinking in the bar and pretended nothing happened until it stunk all over the place and staff walked away.
- Server running with steak on the plate and it went flying off the plate and landed straight under the guests’ chair. Server picks it up and went back to the kitchen. Chef said it was the last one. Go figure what happened next…
- People think if you are fussy in a restaurant the staff will spit on your food…maybe
- People think if they complain a lot we can’t do anything but give in to them…think again.
- Customer puts in a review how good or bad the server was. But customers don’t know we give them names if they are bad to us as well.
- Customer asked server if the products are fresh…staff said it is illegal to sell out of date food.
- Customer comes up to pay her bill and started to dig into her purse. She took so long digging into her purse that the till went on stand by mode. The staff pictured her being punched by a kangaroo to entertain himself while waiting for her to get the coins in her purse.
I could go on and on but I will keep some nasty ones for the book. Please do share your funny or insane situation at work that will give us a peek of what is it like on your side of the world. Until next time…